Thursday, July 14, 2011

Texans Gilchrest, Quinton Score First AJGA Victories

Southlake's Matt Gilchrest
Matt Gilchrest of Southlake, Texas, fired a low-round score of 5-under-par 67 on Thursday to win his first American Junior Golf Association tournament. Gilchrest rallied from a four-shot deficit to win the Genesis Shootout presented by the Valero Texas Open on the Live Course at at Fair Oaks Ranch Golf & Country Club in Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas.

Houston's Kayli Quinton also made the Genesis Shootout her first AJGA victory. She shot a final round 71 and finished at 1-under-par 215.

The 54-hole tournament field consisted of 96 boys and 39 girls from eight states and Mexico. The boys played the par-72 course at 6,943 yards. The girls played at 6,197 yards.

Gilchrest, who carded six birdies in his final round, said he was overwhelmed with excitement considering this was his first AJGA win.

“I wasn't sure how I was going to stand because I was four strokes back from the leader at the beginning of the final round,” he said. “I feel exactly like I always dreamed I would feel like to win a tournament.”

Eric Ricard of Shreveport, La., finished second after carding a tournament total of 1-under-par 215. Kyle Francis and Kirby Gorzell both of San Antonio tied for third, with an overall total of even-par 216. Tying in fifth with a tournament total of 1-over-par 217 were Brendon Jelley of Tulsa, Okla., Brandon Pierce of Covington, La., Roman Robledo of Harlingen, Texas, Edwin Hyslop of Del Rio, Texas, and Frederick Wedel of The Woodlands. 
Houston's Kayli Quinton

Quinton grabbed early momentum with an eagle on the first hole. She made two birdies on the back nine and won by three shots.

“I am really excited to finally earn my first AJGA event, as I have been playing since 2007,” Quinton said. “This win is going to give me the momentum I need, because I will be competing in the U.S. Girls Junior Championship next week.”

Marijosse Navarro of San Antonio, Sierra Sims of Austin, Texas, and Summar Roachell of Conway, Ark., tied for second with a tournament total of 2-over-par 218.

- The AJGA contributed to this report

No comments:

Post a Comment